Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Room

Wouldn’t it be great to be so filled with the Holy Spirit that there was no room left for any of the negative thoughts that try to make their way into our brains (almost daily) and take up residence there? Especially thoughts of worry and doubt; and hey, what about pride? Wouldn’t it be great just to kick those harmful thoughts right out the door and hang up the “No Vacancy” sign; or better yet, the “Already Filled to Capacity” sign?

If you are a child of God it is possible to be completely filled with the peace of the Holy Spirit; yes, if the Holy Spirit lives within you, then the capacity for perfect peace is within you—NOW!

If the capacity for perfect peace is within us, then why do we suffer so from a lack of peace? I believe the problem arises from practicing that which we know best and that with which we feel most comfortable. Remember the old idiom, “Practice makes perfect”? We have made a habit of the practice of worry; so much so worry has become a part of our comfort zone. However, we should be refocusing our environment by practicing the peace of Christ.

Begin right now to practice the peace of Christ…through prayer and through the study of God's word. Start each day by surrendering yourself fully to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Ask that your heart, mind, actions, and attitude be controlled by the Spirit. Practice peace by taking comfort in the many scriptures which discuss the peace of the Holy Spirit.
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:26-27 (NIV)

The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; Romans 8:6 (NIV)

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 (NIV)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23a (NIV)
Gracious Holy Spirit, I surrender my all to you today. I ask that You magnify the fruit of Your Spirit within me today and that I may share that fruit with others. I ask this in Jesus’ name. AMEN.