Thursday, April 22, 2010

Flawed Heroes

As I read through the book of Judges concerning those who ruled the nation of Israel between the death of Joshua and the period of the kings, I am reminded of how flawed their heroes were. These folks were people just like us; imperfect.

If you read Judges 17:6 and also 21:25 you’ll find that because there was no king in Israel, everyone did as they saw fit. While many people did not walk in the way they had been commanded, there were still pockets of the faithful who called upon the name of the LORD.

Let's take a look at Sampson; a judge renowned for his great strength. Sampson had a tendency to consort with women of questionable character and motives, however, God used these occasions for Samson to move against the Philistines who, at the time, were in power over the Israelites. You will notice before Samson’s great feats of strength, the Bible records these words, “And the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him” (Judges 14:6, 19; 15:14).

As Christians we look forward to that perfect body in Christ Jesus. While we may be flawed at the moment, we know we are clothed with the righteousness of Christ. Let’s turn ourselves over to the working of the Holy Spirit daily, to be used for His purpose and make the following claim:
“But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may reside in me. So because of Christ, I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in catastrophes, in persecutions, and in pressures. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (HCSB)
God Bless!