Friday, February 19, 2010

Wait I Say

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 2 Peter 3:8
It seems we are always in a hurry…to go somewhere, to do something…or worse yet, waiting on someone else to go somewhere or do something. Some of us are more inept than others when it comes to the task of waiting. I must admit waiting is not one of my great talents.

So, for whom are we waiting; why should we wait; and for what is it that we are waiting? To find the answers to these questions, we have to look no further than David’s writing in the book of Psalm; for he knew well the value of waiting on the Lord.

Psalm 37:34 tells us, “Wait on the LORD, And keep His way, And He shall exalt you…” and previously in the same chapter, verse 9; “But those who wait on the LORD, They shall inherit the earth.”

David tells us if we wait on the Lord and keep His way we will be rewarded. David also tells us by waiting on the Lord we receive truth, help, instruction, strength, hope, protection; we will be preserved with integrity and uprightness; and that salvation is of the Lord:

Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day. Psalm 25:5

Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You. Psalm 25:21

Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD! Psalm 27:14
Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. Psalm 33:20
And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You. Psalm 39:7

I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense. Psalm 59:9

Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation. Psalm 62:1
It is important, however, to remember during the times we wait upon the Lord, we are not to be idle, for Jesus reminds us in Luke 10:2, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few”.

God Bless!