Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pictures of Christ

I find the word of God amazing. Many times as I read, I get so full of the Holy Spirit, to the point of overflowing, that I feel the need to stop and put pen to paper. That’s how I feel this morning.

Last night at church the lesson was on Isaiah 53, a chapter often referred to as, “The Suffering Servant”. The book of Isaiah, written between 740-680 BC, tells more about the life and work of Christ than does any other book of the Old Testament. When you consider, Christ was born around 6 BC, this is very special indeed! A favorite verse of mine, much quoted around Christmas-time is Isaiah 9:6;
“For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace”. (NASB)

This morning I was reading in the book of Psalm. Long before the prophet Isaiah came along, David, was also writing of Christ. The psalms attributed to David were written during the 10th century BC.

I challenge you today to read through Psalm 22 and be awed by its message. The Psalm begins in agony with, “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?” (the same words found in Matthew 27:46) but ends in victory with verses, 27-31. My favorite verses in this group being verses 27-28, which read,
“All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will worship before Thee. For the kingdom is the Lord’s, and He rules over the nations.”

If you are feeling in the Spirit, read on through Psalm 23, which portrays the beautiful, kind, and loving Shepherd providing for and protecting His sheep. Next, Psalm 24 is a hymn of praise to the Creator and opens with,
“The earth is the Lord’s and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it.”

Verses such as those mentioned above remind me, whenever I’m feeling down about something, I need only to stop and remember, God is still in charge; He is still in control and I only have to turn over to Him whatever may be bothering me at the moment. Praise God – He was, He is, He always will be!!

God Bless!!