Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How May I Serve You?

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:10 (NIV)
Some of us seem destined for the spotlight while others hope to remain in the shadows. I tend to be one of those individuals. My talents, skills, and abilities happen to be in the area of support. I’d rather write than speak; I’d rather organize and implement than maintain and follow-up.

I can’t speak for spotlight people, or other support people for that matter, but I have finally admitted to myself I may favor the area of support because these roles help to satisfy a need in me for a certain level of control over a situation. 

When I worked, I was considered a valuable employee because of my skills. Employers love employees who can organize, come up with a workable plan and implement it. Employers love a person who can look at a plan from different angles, evaluate it for weaknesses and then refine the plan in order to make it stronger and more effective.

God, however, is the Master Planner and calls for total dependence upon Him. He calls upon us to let go of our own plans, relinquish all our control and trust Him completely. He tells us not to worry about the future; He is the Supreme Architect; the Creator and He alone is in control not only of the present, but also the past and the future.

God asks that we completely yield ourselves to the leadership of the Holy Spirit. He asks that we deny ourselves daily and take up our crosses and follow Him. He asks for obedience; total obedience; immediate obedience. If we are obedient, God is faithful to He guide us and make us into the person He intends us to be. Amen!

God bless you as you journey daily in faith and obedience to the Father!