Monday, February 8, 2010

Helping the King

This morning as I was reading my Bible, I was taken aback as I realized how I am failing to follow Christ’s instructions. In Matthew 25: 31-46, Jesus is speaking to his disciples concerning the end of time. He tells them the nations will be gathered before Him and He will separate them as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; the sheep on His right side and the goats on His left. Those on His right He blesses and gives their inheritance saying,
“For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.”

‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’ Matthew 25: 35,36,40b (NASB)
As I read this my thoughts were, “This is it. I’m supposed to be doing this.” Quickly, I took a mental inventory of what I have done in this regard. The result of my quick inventory was shockingly meager.

Why haven’t I done more? I’m not sure but I suspect I’ve gotten caught up in the “noise” of worldly things. Running to and fro, doing things that in the end don’t matter.

Resolve with me today to do more. Let’s clean out those closets and pantries and get those items into the hands of those who really need them. Are there shut-ins in your neighborhood that could use some help? When’s the last time you visited a prison to offer the hope of Christ to someone without hope? Doing these things will not only bless our own hearts, but we will also be doing the work Christ expects of us.

God Bless!