Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Vine and the Branches

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” John 15:1-4
Branches display the beautiful leaves and lovely blossoms of the vine. The blossoms then mature into the wonderful fruit of the vine. However, the branch cannot do anything of itself; the branch is totally dependent upon the vine. If the branch is dislodged from the vine, it withers and dies. The branch can only produce when it is connected to and nourished by the vine.

Branches that do not produce are removed, while fruit-bearing branches are pruned (or cleaned) to help them keep producing. The part of the branch that is no longer useful is taken away so that the branch can be revived. In the same way, God purifies all Christians so they may be more useful. He does this by taking away that which hinders our usefulness.

What hinders your usefulness? Relinquish those things today. Fully surrender yourself to the working of the vine so that you may be the bearer of beautiful fruit.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23a
Merciful God, I surrender fully to You. Mold me and make me after Your will. I pray the fruit of the Spirit be manifest in me for Your honor and Your glory. Amen.

God Bless!