Monday, March 1, 2010

What do others say about you?

Do you spend much time wondering what others think of you? I can’t say that I do. This hasn’t always been true. When I was younger, I was definitely concerned about what others thought of me. Those were the days when my self-esteem was tied to what others thought. What a wretched time!

Maturity is a wonderful thing. However, maturity in Christ is a much better thing! I am most concerned with what my Heavenly Father thinks of me. I am only concerned with what others think of me in regard to my Christian witness. I never want to be a stumbling block to anyone!

By nature, I am a reclusive person. When I became an adult, I realized I was expected to go into the world, rub elbows with others, attend an institution of higher learning, get a job, etc. Because of these things, I learned I must leave behind my childhood insecurities (and eccentricities) and become a somewhat socially acceptable individual who could converse intelligently (and nicely) with a variety of people.

Having not worked in almost five years, I find myself returning to that naturally reclusive self. I also find myself attending fewer social functions at my church. The problem with this is I now realize I may be offending some of my brothers and sisters in Christ with my reclusive behavior. This will not do!

In Romans 14:14-23, Paul admonishes us to be mindful of our actions in regard to others in the faith. Even though he is specifically addressing the argument of what some considered unclean food and drink, it still follows that we should be careful not to offend others and thereby place a stumbling block in their journey of faith.
I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.

Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
May we all serve Christ faithfully by loving and encouraging others. God bless!