Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Say What?

I spent today sitting in a hospital. My husband had surgery this morning and as we were waiting in the holding room for him to be taken into surgery I picked up a New Testament which had been placed in the room by Gideon’s International. I began to flip through it reading various passages, but quickly found myself in 1 Corinthians 14. In this chapter, Paul is writing to the church at Corinth concerning speaking in tongues and the gift of prophecy. This is significant for me because my younger daughter and I have been recently discussing speaking in tongues.

Paul tells us the better gift is the gift of prophecy. He says the person who speaks in tongues, speaks to God because no one else understands him and thereby edifies himself while the person who prophesies edifies the church. The person who prophesies speaks to men for their “strengthening, encouragement and comfort”, v.3.

In verse 6, Paul asks, “Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?” Paul equates the speaking of tongues without interpretation as someone playing random notes on a musical instrument; it is not music but noise. In verse 19, Paul says, “But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.”

Further, Paul says tongues are a sign for unbelievers but prophecy is for believers.
“So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!" v. 23-25.
Paul completes his message about the speaking of tongues in verses 26-28 but he finishes the chapter by speaking on of the importance of orderly worship, proclaiming God a God of peace, not of disorder. I challenge you to read the entire chapter. It is enlightening and you’ll discover the church at Corinth must have had some rowdy church services to have drawn so much attention on the subject from Paul.

God Bless!