Saturday, February 26, 2011

Spiritual Renewal

Forgive my hidden faults.
Keep your servant also from willful sins;
   may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
   innocent of great transgression.
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
   be pleasing in your sight,
   LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:12b-14, NIV
Have you reached a stage of maturity that allows you to look back and identify what you have sown and reaped? God’s word states clearly man reaps what he sows, Galatians 6:7b, NIV. Job 4:8, NIV, says those who plow evil sow and reap trouble. Hosea 10:12 implores us to sow righteousness and reap unfailing love.

I wish I could tell you all my reaping and sowing has been of the righteous kind, but alas, I cannot. Like some people, I had a somewhat troubled childhood and for many years I also had a challenging marriage relationship. Along the way I gathered together many small bundles of unhappy memories and repressed anger which matured into a big bag of bitterness.

In order to deal with my bitterness I simply boxed it up and stored it in the back of my mind. I knew it was safe there and I could bring it out whenever I wanted to do so. I believed this a neat and orderly way to take care of my issue but the problem was occasionally the bitterness would pop-out without permission and proceed to run amuck in my life. Hence, I was not in control of my bitterness; it was in control of me.

And the Evil One loved it! I had fooled myself into believing I had “handled” my bitterness properly—when actually, I had done nothing. All of that bitterness was still a living-breathing part of my life. I had carried all my unpleasant, hurtful memories around inside of my head and my heart for years instead of placing them at the foot of the Cross and walking away repentant, forgiven and cleansed.

For years I had walked around with unconfessed, hidden sin within me and it was ruling over me. I had welcomed the prideful sin of self-reliance into my life thinking I had dealt with these personal issues on my own terms. In reality, I had failed miserably. Because of my hidden faults and unconfessed sin my Christian growth had been stunted and impeded for years.

We cannot hide sin. God sees all and His Holy Spirit convicts our hearts and guides us to a place of confession, repentance, and (Praise God!) healing. Too often we attempt to live in our own strength. However, the Christian life is defined by Christ living His life in us and through us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

We sit, soak, and stew in our own juices and become sour, tough, and hard-hearted when we allow unconfessed sin to rule our lives. Our Christian growth is stunted and we become spiritually stale and useless. Fortunately, confession, repentance, and healing are only a prayer away.
 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called…” 1 Timothy 6:11-12b, NIV
Blessed Holy Spirit—search me, test me, try me to see if there is any offensive way within me. I confess all to you, right now, in full repentance. Keep me from willful and presumptuous sin. Mold me and make me after your will. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart always be pleasing in your sight, My Rock, My Redeemer, O Lord, My God. Amen.

God Bless!