Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Friend of God


"If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.”

The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”

And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.” Exodus 33:13-17, NIV
Exodus 33:11 tells us the LORD would speak to Moses as speaking to a friend. What keys unlock the door to that type of relationship? I believe they are faith, obedience, and dependence upon God. Those factors are most certainly still relevant today.

In a relationship of any kind, there is always one person who makes the first move—God always initiates the relationship; it is never us. John 6:44, Jesus speaking says, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them.” God’s pursuit of Moses is displayed in Exodus 3:4, via the burning bush.

God introduces Himself to Moses by the divine Name; I AM, telling Moses that He is the God of his ancestors; the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Moses faith begins to take shape as he follows God in obedience. Throughout the book of Exodus you see the faith and obedience of Moses building and you witness a great crescendo moment in Exodus 33 when Moses is called the friend of God.

Moses complete dependence and submission is evidenced by his saying to God, “teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you, (v.13).” And more of that faith, obedience and dependence upon God is witnessed when Moses says to God if He doesn’t go with them they will not be distinguishable as God’s people, (v. 15-16).

Moses demonstrated his love and faith to God through obedience. Jesus expects the same of us and tells us in John 14:15 that if we love Him we will keep His commandments. In verse 21 of the same chapter Jesus repeats this adding, “The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Loving Father, please forgive me where I fail you. I thank you that you know me by name. Thank you for your continuing work in me through the power of the Holy Spirit, making me more Christ-like each day. I pray I submit myself fully to you each day so that I too, may one day be called your friend. Amen.

God Bless!