Monday, February 14, 2011

Love in Action

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:9-18, NIV
I recently visited my daughter and her husband and three children. The typical routine when I visit is for me to sleep with my older granddaughter in her room. One night, I awoke to the sound of the bedroom door opening and then my grandson climbing into bed with us.

I didn’t object and his sister was sleeping too soundly to register an objection. I was now tightly sandwiched in between two children sleeping soundly and I feared if I moved around too much I might awaken them.

As a grandmother, I considered the situation a precious one. On the other hand I was in pain and it was getting worse with each passing moment.  I have chronic back problems and change positions frequently in order to keep the pain in my back and hips to a tolerable level. Even though I was in pain I did nothing to disrupt the sleep of my sweet grandchildren.

God is so good to allow us a tiny glimpse into His great love for us through the love we feel for our own children and grandchildren. With that little glimpse into the depth of His love for us, He shows us the great joy love brings but also shows us that love includes acts of selflessness, sacrifice, and honoring others before ourselves.

God calls on us to employ great love—sincere love—active love for Him and others; He calls upon us to love sweetly and completely. We are to love Him with all our heart, mind and soul, and we are to love our neighbors as ourselves, Matthew 22:37-39. Furthermore, Jesus said we would be known as His disciples through our love for one another, John 13:34-35.

Romans 12:9-18 lists acts of love in action. Regularly practicing these acts will demonstrate your love for others and for your Heavenly Father; for without love, we are nothing, 1 Corinthians 13:2.

God Bless!