Wednesday, June 2, 2010

We Are What We Speak

You’ve heard it said, “We are what we eat.” This is true and it seems I continually struggle to become more fruits and vegetables and less cake and cookies!

This same logic is applied to our words; for we are what we speak. Jesus tells us in Matthew 12:33-37 our words not only reveal the content of our character but also reflect the condition of our hearts. Just as a tree is known by the quality of its fruit, the mouth reveals that which is in the heart.
"Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit.

You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.

The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil.

But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.

For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
What do your words say about the condition of your heart? Are you an encourager or do you malign and criticize at every opportunity? Are you one who offers support to others or do you gossip and act a busy-body? In short, do your words reveal the love of Christ?

In John 13:34-35, Jesus gives us a new commandment and tells us as His disciples we will be known by this: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Gracious Lord, may my speech always demonstrate and reflect Your love. I pray through the power of the Holy Spirit You instill within me the ability to tame my tongue; I pray my words be used always to honor and glorify You. Cleanse me Father as only You can that I may be pure in soul and pure in speech. Amen.

God Bless!