Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Stop! Wait! -or- Out of the Mouths of Babes

“Make Your ways known to me, LORD; teach me Your paths. Guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; I wait for You all day long.” Psalm 25:4-5, HCSB

This past weekend I took two of my grandchildren to a local park. My grandchildren and I decided to walk to the park bridge, turn around and walk back. The walk to the bridge was uneventful. Claire, the four-year-old ran a little ahead of me, but close enough that I felt I was within a safe distance of her. On the return trip however, Claire began running and getting farther and farther ahead of me; in fact, so far ahead of me that I was concerned for her safety. I kept calling, “Claire! Stop! Stop running! Wait!” Instead of doing as I asked, she rebelliously looked back over her shoulders while in mid-stride and shouted, “I can’t hear you!”

I quickly phoned my husband who was waiting for us to return. I told him to come back to the trail and stop Claire’s all out dash to who-knows-where.  Thankfully, disaster was averted—my husband made it back to the trail and Claire stopped running when she got back to the spot where we had started our walk.

Later, contemplating Claire’s little misadventure, I thought, “How guilty am I of doing the same thing in my spiritual life?”  I ask the Lord for guidance, but then I find myself running ahead and rebelliously looking back over my shoulders shouting to the Lord, “I can’t hear you!”

Very recently I was faced with a big decision. I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me to step down from a leadership position within an organization where I am a year-round volunteer. But truthfully, I did not want to step down—I was rebelliously refusing to listen to what the Holy Spirit was speaking into my life.

What happened? Within just a few months of saying I would continue in the position, I became ill and was unable to work. I had to step-aside for what I thought would be a few weeks. In that short hiatus, I began to ask myself if the Lord had allowed this situation to come into my life in order to get my attention about something in particular.  I’m a big fan of praying the Scripture so I began to pray, “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

As I considered that perhaps my season of serving in that particular position has passed, I also thought surely the Lord did not mean for me to give up a position I valued so much! Because, after all, if I didn't do the job, who would? Within that unguarded moment, I caught a glimpse of my lack of faith and my pride. I was ashamed and repentant.

Anytime we refuse to follow God’s will and way for our life, we literally say to the Almighty Sovereign God, “I know best.” (I’m horrified even as I type that statement). How dare I? How dare I run rebelliously ahead, at my own peril, to who-knows-where, and look back over my shoulder to say, “I can’t hear you”—which translated means, “I am not going to listen to you because I don’t want to do so!”

Out of the mouths of babes…sometimes the Lord speaks to us through the circumstances around us and the actions of others…even four-year-olds!

“Yahweh, our Lord, how magnificent is Your name throughout the earth! You have covered the heavens with Your majesty. Because of Your adversaries, You have established a stronghold from the mouths of children and nursing infants to silence the enemy and the avenger.” Psalm 8:1-2, HCSB

In the Name above all other names, I thank you Lord for loving me; thank you for Your grace, Your mercy, and Your love. Thank You for teaching me Your way; thank You for Your faithfulness even when I am not faithful.

Note: I stepped down from the leadership position but the Lord has blessed me by allowing me to continue to serve in this particular ministry as a team member. The Holy Spirit also brought to my attention other areas of my life where I have not been obedient. I'm so thankful for the teaching and guidance of the Holy Spirit as I listen, repent, and obey. (Thank-you Lord!)