Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Once a Prodigal, Now Home

(Alternate title: Why I Love Operation Christmas Child)*

When I came back home five years ago I was bruised, beaten-up and broken. I had never intended to come back to Red River Parish nor did I intend to come back to Martin Baptist Church. But God had a different plan. His plan for me was one of reconciliation, healing, renewal, and recommitment.
I came back with a heart filled with bitterness. Even I didn’t realize the extent of my bitterness. I had spent years building walls between myself and whatever I found unpleasant and I had become an expert at doing so.
As I began to get back into church, the Holy Spirit began tugging at my heart and softening the hardened places within me. One Wednesday night Piper Welch was leading a women’s Bible study and the subject of bitterness came up. Piper said that bitterness was akin to hatred. I knew I was somewhat bitter, but hatred? I was a Christian; how could I possibly have hatred in my heart?
I went home that night enlightened; a blazing light burning in my mind…and in my heart. With great clarity I realized that for years I had been giving lip-service to the act of forgiving others. Years of unforgiveness had built-up inside my heart and had turned into a rock-hard bitterness.
Only when I repented of this un-confessed sin in my life was I able to truly forgive others, forget how I had been injured and enjoy the forgiveness I so desperately needed. The healing process began.
I recommitted my life to Christ and began to pray daily that I fully surrender to His leadership; to His will and His way. I prayed to be filled with the Holy Spirit. My speech changed; my taste in music and other forms of entertainment changed. I began to read my Bible again and for the first time ever, I read the Bible from cover to cover.
Today I find myself longing for God. I have discovered for myself what James meant when he wrote, “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.” James 4:8a, HCSB
The more I learn about our great and awesome God, the more I want to learn. I believe it is a craving that will not be satisfied this side of eternity. I believe it is the spiritual craving of the redeemed for the Redeemer; I believe the spiritual soul seeks nourishment just as a newborn creature seeks nourishment from it mother.
I understand what David meant when he wrote:
“God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You ...” Psalm 63:1, HCSB
God brought me back home; back to my roots. He healed my brokenness and opened my eyes anew and afresh to His love and mercy and grace. He has opened doors of service for me that I never expected in areas I never expected or even thought possible.
Because of His love, mercy, and grace I am no longer content to sit still. I want to be a part of God’s call to action. God never intended for us to sit on the sidelines and be spectators. As believers, we are called to active service; we are to worship God and work for His Kingdom. Exactly how we execute those two responsibilities depends upon the spiritual gifts, talents, and abilities with which God has blessed us as individuals.
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8, HCSB
"Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20, HCSB
"But how can they call on Him they have not believed in? And how can they believe without hearing about Him? And how can they hear without a preacher? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it it written: How beautiful are the feet of those who announce the gospel of good things." Romans 10:14-15, HCSB
It’s time to be passionate about God’s plan of action. It’s time to beg Him for an outpouring of His Holy Spirit, anointing us; enabling us; empowering us to carry the Gospel to the ends of the earth.  Our highest calling is to share the Good News with others. Charles Stanley writes, “Loving God involves not just having a personal relationship with Jesus but also sharing Him with others.”
Consider this: nobody ever receives a really great gift and then tells no one. We tell our family; we tell our friends.
My life is not just about me. It’s about taking the Gospel to the corners of the earth. It’s about making disciples. It’s about being obedient to the command of Christ. It’s about looking and acting like love; it’s about looking and acting like faith. It’s about bringing honor and glory to God; in the Name of Jesus; in the power of the Holy Spirit.
*(I love the ministry of Operation Christmas Child, a project of Samaritan's Purse, because it allows you the opportunity to participate in foreign missions; it allows you the opportunity to help in sharing the Gospel with children and their families throughout the world. Get involved! For more information visit online at: Operation Christmas Child.)
God Bless!