Monday, September 26, 2011

The Ministry-Bug

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me”. Galatians 2:20, NIV1984

I don’t know what the ministry-bug looks like but I do know what it feels like and I also know there is no cure for it. Oh, there may be times when you are attacked and because of those attacks you briefly think, “I’m-just-not-going-to-do-this-any-longer.”  But inevitably you feel that stirring in your soul and before you know it you’re doing it again. Once again, you are completely engrossed, obsessed, and occupied with spreading the Good News and the love of Jesus with others. You are down on your knees asking God, “Fill me Lord with Your Spirit. Send me where You would have me go. Speak through me; saturate me with Your Being. Allow me to see others as You see them. Teach me to love others as You love them; use all I am for Your kingdom’s cause; let all my passion always be for Your glory. Amen.”
I confess the ministry-bug term is not original with me. My pastor used it last night in his sermon and I thought, “What a great term; I love it; I’ve got to use that!”
The point I’d like to get across to you today is that there is no such thing as the average Christian life. You’re either living a Spirit-filled-life or you aren’t. Going to church on Sunday morning, occasionally reading your Bible and quickly saying your prayers before you fall into bed every night may seem adequate to you but it is not the Spirit-filled life that God seeks for you. It is not the abundant life God has in store for you. There is SO MUCH MORE and it lies outside the walls of your church building.
Our Lord desires to have an intimate-walking-talking relationship with each of us. Open the door to His presence and His power. Be filled with His wisdom, courage, and strength. Become fully dependent upon Him.
When you invite Jesus into your life daily to live His life in you and through you may expect the remarkable. Expect the abundant life. Expect to be bitten by the ministry-bug and expect an exciting adventure and complete joy…even through the trials.
“You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead”. James 2:24, 26, NIV
God bless you!!