Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Longing for God

 You, God, are my God,
   earnestly I seek you;
 I thirst for you,
   my whole being longs for you,
 in a dry and parched land
   where there is no water.  I have seen you in the sanctuary
   and beheld your power and your glory.
 Because your love is better than life,
   my lips will glorify you.
 I will praise you as long as I live,
   and in your name I will lift up my hands. Psalm 63:1-4, NIV
Recently I read an article written by Mark Batterson (author of Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity). He related an incident where he was sitting in an auditorium with other Christian leaders when the speaker asked the question: “Does your heart break for the things that break the heart of God?”

The question not only caught the attention of Mark Batterson but he writes he was also tremendously convicted by it. The question took him back to what he refers to as a primal place when as a young Christian he possessed a spiritual intensity that resulted in him constantly seeking the Lord. For him the question was one that brought him to a place of remembrance and repentance.

I never want to lose the feeling of the Holy Spirit moving within me and that quickening of my heart; for I recognize it as the presence of God. I recently shared with my sister that while I am burdened for the lost, I am also burdened for Christians who never experience the spiritual fullness Christ offers His believers.

Far too many people are concerned only with “getting their ticket to heaven punched” as my pastor puts it. They seem to believe once they become a child of God there is no more to experience. But dear friends, let me assure you, the experiences of the Christian life have just begun! You were meant for so much more!

As you seek to deepen your relationship with God and understand more of His character, you will find the more you learn the more you want to learn. The pursuit of the knowledge and character of God, in my own mind, is absolutely addictive (in a good way). You will discover God is always pursuing you and always seeking a personal, intimate relationship with you (in fact, that’s why you were created). God's love for you is unfathomable and He has a plan and purpose for your life; He always has your best interests in mind.

As God’s most treasured creation, we are created in His image. His goal and desire for each of us is to live in close relationship with Him. Don’t shut the door and stymie the growth of your relationship with the Creator. Keep the door of your heart, mind, and soul open as you seek God each day through prayer, Bible study, and fellowship with other believers. Seek Him fervently and relentlessly. Learn to recognize His voice. Make yourself available to the leadership of His Spirit as He transforms you into the person He wants you to become—a perfect being in Christ Jesus. Amen.

God Bless!