Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Will You Stand in the Gap?

“I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.” Ezekiel 22:30, NIV
Are you willing to stand in the gap, before God, on behalf of your country, so God will not destroy it? You may ask, why would God allow a country to be destroyed? Because of continued, willful and presumptuous sin; that’s why.

God sent the prophet, Ezekiel, (along with many others, over an extended period of time) to warn Israel they had sinned against God and that unless they turned from their wicked ways, God was going to punish them severely.

In Ezekiel 22:6-12, the sins committed by the nation of Israel are listed. Included were the mistreatment of parents; oppression of orphans and widows; worship of idols (which included child sacrifice); sexual impurity including adultery, fornication, rape, incest, homosexuality; the accepting of bribes and widespread extortion. It is no surprise the paragraph ends with these words, “And you have forgotten me, declares the Sovereign LORD”.

We live in a time when the shock appeal of reading the above list of sins escapes us. These same sins are commonplace in our country today. God hates sin today as much as He hated sin in the time of Ezekiel. Without repentance, punishment will come.

Is there hope for America? Yes, I believe there is but only if we have people willing to stand before God on behalf of the land. Are you such a person?

In 2 Chronicles 7:14, God tells us: if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

God is calling on His people, Christians, to humble themselves before Him and pray. God is calling on His people, Christians, to seek His face. God is calling on His people, Christians, to turn from their wicked ways. Then and only then, will He hear our prayers, forgive our sins and heal our land.


God Bless!